Friday, August 21, 2009

Owen's Delivery

At our OBGYN appointment this past Monday morning, the doctor decided that Owen's fluid was getting low and that they would induce labor at midnight on Monday (actually, the appointment was at 00:01 on Tuesday). We had been ready for Owen to come at any time, but when we ended up scheduling an appointment for his delivery, it was a little strange. At least we could take our time getting to the hospital and we didn't have to worry about going to the hospital too early.

So, we arrived at the hospital in the middle of the night, and they had everything started around 1:30. Kathleen's body was ready for labor, because the contractions started very quickly - she justed needed a kick start. After she got the epidural, she relaxed quite a bit (not too surprising) and labor progressed much faster. She even took a 1-1/2 hour nap. Owen was delivered not long after she woke up. 13 hours total. Kathleen was amazing through it all! I'm so in awe of what she did!

I didn't realize how involved I would be with the actual delivery - holding her legs and helping to coach her. I even cut the umbilical card, which I said before hand that I didn't want to do (didn't want to risk passing out or anything). But after the delivery, it didn't seem like a big deal!

It was such a relief to see Owen emerge and finally hear him cry. I was a little shaky and teary-eyed. But I quickly remembered my camera and (after asking if it was OK) started taking a ton of pictures of my little newborn son.


After about 2 hours in the birthing room, we moved upstairs to the maternity ward. The rooms have little sofas with pull-out beds, so I was able to stay with Kathleen and Owen for their entire stay there. Kathleen and Owen were very tired after the delivery, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. Every birth is beautiful and I know you will always cherish these memories. You have an amazing son and I can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete